Because of Lok Sabha elections, CLAT 2019 Application Form has been extended till 15th April. The offline examination will now take place on May 26 rather than May 12. The examination will be carried out for admission to undergraduate & postgraduate law programmes. This year, the Consortium of National Law Universities will manage the CLAT Exam. Candidates will be admitted to different government & private law colleges across the country based on CLAT scores. Latest Update: - The last application date of CLAT 2019 will be extended until 15 April 2019. The application fee is INR 4000. Register Here!
CLAT 2019 Notifications
|CLAT 2019 Exam Notification
||December 20, 2018
|Availability of CLAT 2019 Application Form
||January 13 – April 15, 2019
|Availability of CLAT 2019 Admit Card
||May 15, 2019
|CLAT Exam Date 2019
||May 26, 2019 (Sunday 3:00 PM to 5:00 PM)
|Uploading of Answer Key
||May 29, 2019
|Declaration of CLAT 2019 Result (Merit List)
||May 31 – June 30, 2019
|Publication of 1st Indicative Seat Allotment List
||June 10, 2019
|Payment of CLAT Counselling Fee (INR 50000)
||June 10 – 14, 2019
CLAT Eligibility 2019
CLAT Core Committee defines the eligibility for UG and PG Programs. The eligibility is measured on the following grounds:
For UG Program:
- Age Limit: There is no upper age limit for CLAT 2019 according to revised rules.
- Academic qualification: 10 + 2 or any equivalent exam must have been passed by the candidate.
- Appearing Candidates: Candidates who appear in the April / May 2019 qualifying exam may also appear in the CLAT exam.
Note: The candidates must convert their grades (if any) into a percentage for appearing in the examination.
For PG Program:
- Age Limit: The postgraduate program has no upper age limit.
- Academic Qualification: Candidate must have an LLB or any other equivalent degree.
- Appearing Candidates: Candidates who appear in the March / April 2019 qualifying examination may also appear in the examination. However, at the time of admission, they must show a hard copy of the evidence that they passed the qualifying examination at the respective National Law Universities.
CLAT Application Form 2019
From January 1, the registration window became operational. Visit the Official CLAT website to access the Common Law Admission Test application form. The last date to complete the form will be April 15, 2019. The completion of CLAT registration involves primarily four steps –
Step 1 – Completing Basic Information
In order to obtain a provisional Registration ID and Password, law aspirants will have to register first. It will require the following details:
- Candidate's Name
- Candidate's Date of Birth
- Father & Mother Name
- Active Mail ID & Mobile No.
Note: Enter information carefully because in later stages it can not be changed. The credentials will be sent to the registered email and Mobile No after successful registration.
Step 2 - Scanning and Uploading of Documents
Login with the temporary ID and Password and upload the documents according to the guidelines. Tabulated below is a short Photo and Signature size and format. Check Photo and Format of Signature. Check Photo and Signature Size Format
||Size and Format
||20 kb – 50 kb in JPEG only
||10 kb – 20 kb in JPEG only
Step 3 - Fill the CLAT Application Form
Proceed to fill in the application form with the other required details. In any order, the information can be entered. The sections shall be as follows:
- Personal Details like name, DOB, mobile number, Parent’s name, Postal Address, Gender, category, etc.
- Qualification Details like marks scored, percentage, passing year, Board name, etc.
- Preference for NLU as per your preference.
Step 4 – Payment of CLAT Application Fee
- The final step is to pay the stipulated application fee.
- It can be paid online (Debit / Credit or Net Banking) or offline (Challan Bank).
Tabulated below is the application fee for each category:
||Application Fee (INR)
Note: No hard copy of the online form and information brochure will be sold to any candidate under any circumstances.
CLAT Admit Card 2019
Candidates who have registered successfully can download their ticket to the hall from May 15, 2019. Carry a valid photo ID (Aadhar Card / Voter ID / Passport / Driving license) at the exam center together with CLAT Admit Card.
How to Download CLAT Admit Card?
Step 1: Visit the official website of CLAT i.e. clat.ac.in
Step 2: Click on ‘Download Admit Card’ tab.
Step 3: Enter Registered E-mail ID and Password
Step 4: Click on Login/ Submit tab.
Step 5: Check and download the hall ticket.
Note: In case a candidate forgets his/ her password, then there is another tab ‘Forget Password’. Click on the same and fill in the required fields
CLAT Exam Pattern
The entrance examination of the national law will last for two hours. The examination of offline mode will have 200 objective questions of the type. CLAT exam pattern highlights are as follows:
Mode of Examination: Offline
Number of Sections: In LLB- 5 Sections and In LLM – 3 sections
Nature of Questions: Objective type (MCQs)
Total Questions: 200 Questions in LLB and 150 Questions in LLM
Marking Scheme: 1 mark of each question
Negative Marking: 0.25 marks deducted for a wrong answer
Exam Pattern for LLB
In the question paper, the section - wise distribution is mentioned below:
- The question paper will contain five sections for undergraduate courses: English (Comprehension), General Knowledge & Current Affairs, Elementary Mathematics (Numerical Ability), Legal Aptitude and Logical Reasoning.
- A candidate will be awarded 1 mark for each correct answer and 1⁄4 mark will be deducted for each wrong answer.
||No. of Questions
|English (including comprehension)
|General Knowledge & Current Affairs
|Elementary Mathematics (Numerical Ability)
Exam Pattern for LLM
- As per CLAT Paper Pattern, there will be three sections in the postgraduate courses, namely constitutional law, jurisprudence, contract, torts, criminal law, international law, IPR, etc.
- A total of 150 multiple choice questions will be included in the question paper for postgraduate courses.
- Some subjective portion would also be included in the LLM admission test in 2019.
- The CLAT Executive Committee will work out the details of the subjective portion.
The following table shows the distribution of questions in each section:
||NO. OF QUESTIONS
|Rest of the topics like Contract, Torts, Criminal Law, International Law, IPR, etc.
Aspirants appearing to be fully aware of the syllabus for the legal aptitude test on May 12. The official CLAT Syllabus will be released by NLU Odisha, Cuttack and there are no curriculum changes. As mentioned on the official website, CLAT Syllabus for the UG program is as follows:
Section 1: English including Comprehension
Comprehension and grammar are the questions in this section. They are designed to test the aptitude in English of a candidate. Candidates are evaluated in the section of understanding based on their understanding of the passage, its central theme, the meaning of words, etc. Candidates are required to spot the errors in the grammar section, fill in the blanks with a suitable choice, etc.
Section 2: General Knowledge and Current Affairs
Candidates are tested for national and international issues, including static general knowledge, based on their awareness. It is important to keep up to date with the news and other topics discussed from March 2016 to April 2019 in the print and digital media.
Section 3: Mathematics
In this section, candidate’s aptitude for elementary Mathematics i.e. Math taught up to Class 10 will be tested.
Section 4: Legal Aptitude
The section tests the interest of candidates in the study of law, aptitude for research and the ability to solve problems. The official website stats – ' Questions will be framed with the help of legal proposals (described in the paper) and a set of facts to be applied to. In the real sense, some proposals may not be "true" (e.g. the legal proposition may be that anyone speaking in a movie hall and disturbing others watching the movie will be banned from entering any movie theater across India for a year). Candidates will have to assume that these proposals are "truthful" and answer questions accordingly. '
Section 5: Logical Reasoning
The questions are designed to test the ability of the candidate to identify patterns, correct illogical arguments, and logical connections. They will be framed around syllogisms, sequences of logic, analogies, etc. Visual reasoning, however, will not be tested.
CLAT Answer Keys
The answer keys for LLB and LLM programs will be available online on May 29 as per the schedule. Representation, if any, can be reported from May 29 to May 31 in relation to the examination, questions or answer keys. Provide the Answer Keys with Email ID and Password. Steps to check the keys to the answer:
Step 1: Visit the official website of CLAT 2019.
Step 2: On the right side, a table of Important links will be there with the first link as ‘Click here to view Question and Answer Keys’. Click on it.
Step 3: A new page will appear, where a candidate has to provide his/her Registered Email ID and Password. Then click on the ‘Login’ tab.
Step 4: Post that a new window will appear in which 5 tabs will be displayed. Click on ‘Candidate Response’ tab. Here, the answer keys will be displayed.
In this sheet, the candidate will be able to see the responses which they got right and wrong. The response sheet will have the following details:
- Participant ID
- Participant Name
- Test Center Name
- Test Date
- Test Time
- Subject (CLAT 2019 UG/ CLAT 2019 PG)
- Marks Obtained
- Questions with correct answers
- Marks obtained as per the Questions
Publishing of CLAT Result 2019: May 31
Visit the official website of CLAT to check the results, bearing the candidates ' qualifying status in CLAT 2019. To access CLAT results, enter the registered Email ID and Password. The document is published as a scorecard that contains –
- CLAT Scores
- All India Rank (AIR)
- Category Rank in CLAT
Steps to check Results
Step 1: Go to the official website of the Common Law Admission Test (clat.ac.in)
Step 2: Click on ‘Result’ tab.
Step 3: Enter your Registration No./ Roll No., DOB (dd/mm/yyyy) and security code.
Step 4: Click on the ‘Login’ tab.
Step 5: View your results.
Important CLAT Results Points:
- NLU Authorities are preparing the results.
- It is compiled in the entrance examination of the law based on the score of a candidate.
- A merit list is also issued by the authorities.
- It will include the list of State merits and the lists of India merit.
- These lists are prepared for the CLAT 2019 exam as per candidate category, such as Unreserved / SC / ST / OBC / Women / SAP.
Note: NLU Delhi does not accept CLAT Scores as they have their own admission procedure.
CLAT Cut Off
The cut-off also increases with the increase in the number of test takers each year. It is expected to increase this year by 5% to 10%. CLAT Participating institutes declare the statistics individually
- Cut off is the minimum score to be secured to participate in the counseling process.
- CLAT Cut Off forms the basis of counseling and seat allotment.
Multiple factors listed below calculate the stats:
- The Difficulty level of the paper,
- Availability of seats,
- Average marks scored in the test
- Total test population
The 2017 CLAT was conducted by CNLU Patna and the 2018 CLAT by NUALS Kochi. The first rank list is shown below:
|National Law University Name
||NLU Cut off 2018
||NLU Cut off 2017
||131 – 132
||128 – 129
||125 – 126
||119 – 120
||122 – 123
||117 – 118
||113 – 114
||112 – 113
||111 – 112
||115 – 116
||109 – 110
||109 – 110
||109 – 110
||108 – 109
||106 – 107
||106 – 107
||105 – 106
CLAT Counselling 2019
Commencement of CLAT 2019 Counselling: June 10 onwards
Latest: Official CLAT 2019 Counselling Guidelines – Click Here
- The CLAT Office will conduct centralized counseling
- Candidates are assigned seats based on ' merit - cum - preference. '
- Candidates must indicate online where they want to be admitted to their NLUs preference.
- Candidates must deposit INR 50,000 during the counseling procedure to secure the allotted seat.
How to Attend CLAT Counselling?
Step 1: Visit the official website of CLAT and click on ‘CLAT Counselling 2019’ link.
Step 2: Provide login details including User Id/ Registration Id and Password.
Step 3: Click on ‘Counselling’ tab.
Step 4: Go through the indicative seat allotment list of NLUs.
Step 5: Pay the requisite amount of CLAT 2019 counseling fee (applicable to only those candidates who have their names in the indicative list for the first time).
Step 6: Exercise ‘Seat Lock’ option given against the allotted NLU.
Step 7: Save a copy of the NLU seat allotted list. Click on Logout option.
Documents Required for Counselling
- CLAT 2019 Application Form
- CLAT 2019 Admit Card
- CLAT 2019 Score Card
- Class 10th Marks-sheet (Date of Birth proof)
- Class 12th Marks-sheet (Academic Qualification/ Eligibility Criteria)
- Caste Certificate (If applicable)
- Specially-Abled Certificate (If applicable)
- NRI Certificate (If applicable)
- Sponsored NRI Certificate (If applicable)
- Domicile Certificate (If applicable)