The CLAT exam is a national level entrance exam for law aspirants in India. The exam is conducted every year by the National Law Universities
(NLUs) on a rotational basis. The next edition of the Common Law Admission Test (CLAT) will be held in 2023.
Preparing for an entrance exam like CLAT requires dedication and hard work. In this blog post, we will provide some tips and strategies on how to prepare for CLAT 2023.
The first step is to get familiar with the pattern of the exam. The CLAT exam pattern has undergone some changes in recent years. There are now four sections instead of five, and the section on Legal Aptitude has been replaced by a General Knowledge section. It is important to know what sections will be tested and what types of questions will be asked.
Next, you need to know the syllabus for the exam. The CLAT syllabus has also undergone some changes in recent years. Some important topics that you should focus on are Indian Constitution, legal reasoning, torts, contracts, criminal law, property law, family law, etc. There are many books and resources available to help you prepare for these topics. You can also join a CLAT preparation course
Time management is another important aspect of preparing for CLAT 2023. You should focus on those sections which are most important and attempt the paper efficiently. Use mock tests to get an idea of where you stand and to identify areas that need improvement.
Get Familiar with the Pattern
Changes in the Pattern -
The pattern of the exam has changed slightly over the years, with the introduction of new sections and types of questions. However, the overall structure of the exam remains largely unchanged. It is important to familiarize yourself with the latest pattern so that you can plan your studies accordingly.
Sections of the Exam -
The CLAT consists of five sections: English Language, General Knowledge, Legal Aptitude, Logical Reasoning, and Quantitative Aptitude. The first four sections are objective type questions, while the fifth section is an essay writing section.
Types of Questions -
Each section will have a different type of question, requiring a different approach to solving it. For example, in the English Language section, you will need to identify errors and correct them; in the General Knowledge section, you may need to remember facts and figures; in the Legal Aptitude section, you will need to apply legal principles to given situations; in the Logical Reasoning section, you will need to use deductive reasoning; and in the Quantitative Aptitude section, you will need to solve mathematical problems.
Know the Syllabus
Changes in the Syllabus -
The CLAT syllabus
has undergone some changes in the past few years. The most notable change was the introduction of Legal Aptitude as a separate section from Logical Reasoning. Apart from that, there have been some changes in the topics covered under each section. It is important to be aware of these changes and plan your preparation accordingly.
Important Topics -
Given below are some important topics that you must focus on while preparing for CLAT:
Books and Resources -
- English Language- Reading Comprehension, Verbal Ability, Grammar
- Logical Reasoning- Puzzles, Seating Arrangements, Blood Relations, Syllogisms, Coding-Decoding, Inequalities, Directions & Distance
- Quantitative Aptitude- Arithmetic, Algebra, Geometry, Modern Maths
- Legal Aptitude- Constitutional Law, Contracts, Torts, Criminal Law, International Law
- General Knowledge- Current Affairs, Static GK
Here are some recommended books and resources that will help you prepare effectively for CLAT:
- English Language- Word Power Made Easy by Norman Lewis, High School English Grammar & Composition by Wren & Martin
- Logical Reasoning- A Modern Approach to Logical Reasoning by R.S. Aggarwal
- Quantitative Aptitude- Quantum CAT by Sarvesh K Verma
- Legal Aptitude- Legal Awareness & Legal Reasoning by Arihant Experts
- General Knowledge- Manorama Yearbook 2020, The Hindu newspaper
These are some of the most important topics and books that you must focus on while preparing for CLAT. Apart from these, there are various other resources that you can use to supplement your preparation.
Sections to focus on -
The first section in the CLAT exam is General Knowledge and Current Affairs. This section tests your awareness of the world around you. The questions will be based on current affairs, history, geography, economics, and general knowledge. It is important to keep up with the news and current affairs to do well in this section.
Attempt the paper efficiently -
The second section is Logical Reasoning. This section tests your ability to think logically and solve problems. The questions will be based on logical reasoning, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills. It is important to attempt this section efficiently as it can be time-consuming.
Use mock tests -
Mock tests are a great way to familiarize yourself with the pattern of the exam and get an idea of how much time you need to spend on each question. They are also a good way to practice your time management skills.
Important Topics –
Revision is one of the most important aspects of preparing for CLAT 2023. It is important to revise all the important topics covered in the syllabus, as well as to practice solving previous year papers and mock tests.
Some important topics to focus on during revision are:
Previous Year Papers –
- Reading comprehension – this section tests your ability to understand and interpret passages of text. Practice reading different types of texts, such as fiction, non-fiction and legal documents, and answer questions on them.
- Grammar – revise all the rules of grammar, including those related to verb tenses, pronouns, adjectives, adverbs and prepositions. Be sure to also brush up on your vocabulary by learning new words and their meanings.
- Legal reasoning – this section tests your ability to identify issues in a given situation and apply relevant laws to them. Practice identifying issues in various legal scenarios and applying appropriate laws to them.
- Logical reasoning – this section tests your ability to analyze arguments and solve puzzles. Practice solving different types of logical reasoning questions, such as analogy, sequence and Blood relation problems, syllogisms, etc.
- Numerical ability – this section tests your ability to solve mathematical problems quickly and accurately. Revise all the basic concepts of arithmetic, algebra, geometry and Mensuration."
Previous years papers are always helpful for revision and to score good marks. It is always better to solve the papers of the previous years as it helps you understand the exam pattern and the type of questions asked in the exam. It also helps you to identify your strong and weak areas.
Mock Tests –
Taking online mock tests for the CLAT 2023 exam is a great way to get real-time experience of what the actual exam will be like. This can help you better prepare for the final exam and improve your chances of success. Additionally, online mock tests can help you identify any areas that you need to work on before the final exam. Also Read - How online test series helps you crack the CLAT LLM entrance exam
The CLAT exam is one of the most important exams for law aspirants in India. It is thus crucial to start preparing for it well in advance. The first step is to get familiar with the pattern and format of the exam so that you know what to expect on test day. Next, you need to know the syllabus inside out so that you can focus your studies on the topics that are most important. Time management is key to doing well in the exam, so make sure you attempt each section efficiently. Finally, revision is vital to success – focus on key topics and do plenty of mock tests to ensure you are fully prepared.